Spring Family Fun in Big Bear Lake
This spring - or Adventure Season as we like to call it - head up to Big Bear where the lake comes to life with fishing, kayaking, boating, and more. Away from shore, the forest beckons with miles of trails or hiking, biking, and exploring the beauty of Mother Nature. Spring is a shoulder season in Big Bear and tends to see fewer crowds, particularly during the week. Once you've booked your stay, consider these family fun activities:
Spring Family Fun Outdoors:
- Fishing - Big Bear Lake is a hub for freshwater fishing, so there's no better place to book your spring getaway or take the kiddos on their first fishing excursion. Rent a fishing boat from a local marina or get expert help from a charter fishing guide.
- Biking - Bike rentals are available from numerous shops throughout the Valley but Goldsmith's Sports and Bear Valley Bikes offer all the biking equipment you could imagine from fat tires, to downhill bikes, e-bikes, and safety equipment. Once you're ready to cruise, see our Trails page to choose your route.
- Farmer's Market - Every Tuesday from 8 AM to 1:30 PM, the Bear Valley Farmers Market sets up shop at the Big Bear Lake Convention Center. The freshest local produce, handcrafted breads and hummuses, carefully blended coffees and teas, and artisan wares fill the parking lot from April through September.
- Urban Adventure Quest - Learn about Big Bear and enjoy the beautiful scenery as you go! Check out Urban Adventure Quest with friends and family.
- Hiking - Open year round, hiking trails offer peaceful jaunts through the forest and an opportunity for little ones to discover the natural world. Be sure to bring sunblock, appropriate footwear, water, and a snack if need be. Some trailhead parking lots require an Adventure Pass which can be purchase at our Visitor Center. Please help us preserve our environment and be sure all water bottles, food wrappers, masks, and other litter make it into your backpack and out of the forest.
- Kayaking and Canoeing - Kayak and canoe outings on Big Bear Lake can be enjoyed by anyone. Bring your own (be sure to purchase your lake permit from BBMWD) or rent one for the day from Big Bear Lake's many marinas.
- Jet skiing - Make waves as you zoom around on a high speed jet ski. Spring lake activities may be chilly so consider a wet suit when planning to get soaked. Learn more.
- Family Entertainment - Head to Alpine Slide at Magic Mountain for a thrilling ride on the Alpine Slide and new Mineshaft Coaster! These taboggan experiences allow the rider to control their sled down a twisting, turning high-speed track. The facility also features a Go-Kart track, Soaring Eagle ride, and Miniature Golf. Big Bear Speedway & Ropes Course features more Go-Kart fun and a sky-high ropes course with numerous obstacles and challenges.
- Visit Santa Land! - Christmas in the spring? Why not, especially when Santa Claus and his journey through history and pop culture are located so close in The Village!
- Visit the Zoo - Big Bear Alpine Zoo mixes family fun with education in wildlife preservation and sustainability.
- Bowling - Take the family for bowling night at The Bowling Barn!
- Escape Rooms - Put your puzzle solving skills and imaginations to the test! Learn more about escape rooms and scavenger hunts.
- Gold Mining - Discover Big Bear's rich gold mining history and be a prospector yourself at Gold Rush Mining Adventures.
No matter the adventure you embark on in Big Bear Lake, there is bound to be a ton of fun for the entire family to enjoy!