Visit Big Bear understands the importance of sustainable tourism and has taken steps to promote education and practices for low impact on the environment. Keep these points in mind when traveling or make them habits at home...
Reducing Energy Use Will Reduce Carbon Emissions
- Turn off lights when you leave a room.
- Use a blanket or wear extra clothing instead of adjusting the thermostat.
- Unplug unused electronics (even your mobile phone).
- Take shorter showers, using less hot water.
- Recycle papers, plastics and glass.
- Shop with reusable cloth bags instead of single use plastics or papers.
- Buy local and reduce the energy required to get products to your store.
Be A Responsible Traveler
- Use public transportation wherever possible, or walk.
- Plan ahead. Do several errands in one trip, carpool when possible, and use uncongested routes.
- Reduce air conditioning use. Use air vents when you can instead of air conditioning.
- Use cruise control when possible. Sharp breaking and accelerating are fuel guzzling habits.
- Be considerate of the environment in the communities you visit.
- Don't litter. Carry a trash bag for times when a trash receptacle isn’t available.
- Pick up trash you find, even if it isn't yours.
- Use reusable water bottles and food containers.
- Support the local economy and buy locally. Eat at local restaurants and enjoy local culture!
Big Bear Valley Ecotourism Coalition
Visit Big Bear is a proud participant with the Big Bear Valley Ecotourism Coalition. BBVEC encourages ecotourism in the Big Bear Valley to support the local economy while honoring, conserving, and appreciating the beautiful and unique natural environment. The Coalition assembles information on local habitats, ecotourism activities, tours, events, recreation, and sustainably-run green business partners.
BBVEC is a project of the Friends of Big Bear Valley nonprofit (501(c)(3) organization that strives protect and preserve Big Bear's amazing natural surroundings through environmental education and advocacy about its value and community benefit.